Town Manager News and Updates
Welcome to the Town Manager News and Updates Web Page.
Town Manager Updates
- Board of Health – The Board of Health is part of a regional consortium, with Northbridge as the host community, for professional and inspectional services. As part of a regional grant, the consortium is planning to hire a social services coordinator to serve the towns in the consortium. This would be an additional resource to support the Town and the ESS Department
- Department of Public Works – The department has completed its hydrant flushing program for the year. Parks Dept is completing cemetery clean-up operations for the season as well. The installation of new fencing is nearing completion with final installation of a gate for the generator and wooden slates around the air handlers occurring next week. The Fiske Ave Water project is completed, and work will start on preparing contract and bid specifications for reconstruction next year. Staff is working on a draft Post Construction Regulations as part of the Town’s NPDES Permit. The draft regulations will be reviewed with the Conservation Commission for approval, and then sent to DEP.
- Elder and Social Services/ Council on Aging – Staff continues to be busy assisting residents with fuel assistance applications. Many people who received assistance last year did not get recertification application this year and this has resulted in the need for more assistance that is typically required. The Senior Center Bus is currently in New Hampshire for repairs under warrant for a leak. We are thankful to BVT for letting use us a bus to continue transportation services for our residents.
- Fire Department – The Fire Department partnered with the Upton Men’s Club for their annual Pancakes & Pictures with Santa event on December 3rd. The event was very well attended. The Department has been busy working with Code Enforcement on issues at the Upton Inn, 135 Main Street. We continue to work on updated our policy and procedures and look forward to moving this effort to a cloud platform in the coming months. The Fire/EMS Association also participated in parades in Mendon, Uxbridge, and Milford over the weekend, and one awards in Mendon and Milford in the fire truck division.
- Police Department – Assessment for Re-Accreditation took place at on November 27-29th. Three assessors and a facilitator from the Massachusetts Police Accreditation Commission completed an assessment of our facility, policies, and practices to ensure that we are meeting Accreditation standards. The assessment went very well, and the results will be reviewed by staff from the commission for a recommendation. We continue to be short staffed with two officers on active duty, one resignation, and one officer on FMLA leave. We have a currently have an active recruitment for a Patrol Officer with the first review of applications set for after December 8th. The Police Association kicked of the Holidays with participation in parades in Mendon, Uxbridge, and Milford over the weekend.
- Recreation – Light Up Upton is underway. The deadline to participate is December 15th. After the sign-up deadline, a map will be compiled and made available on the Town’s website and social media pages. Staff is working with the WooSox to plan for an Upton Take Over day in the 2024 season.